Thursday

Brunch at Country Café


Dear Diary,

Don’t you think that brunch is the most delightful way to start a day? Breakfast is simply too early and so archaic. I mean, who has breakfast nowadays? Only people with unforgivably boring lives whose biggest accomplishments are getting to bed before midnight and drinking eight glasses of water per day. Oh, you know the type.

So Miller and I went to brunch at Country Café, a cute little spot on Thompson St with scrumptious French food and smoking hot waiters. Our waiter turned out to be tall, with a chiselled face like a young Paul Newman and a smooth creamy voice. He was also my ex.

Julian McAlister and I had met in freshman year at the Young Democrats society. Back then, he was quite a catch; his father was a successful business analyst and the whole clan was loaded. We began seeing each other and everything was going smoothly until I found out he was cheating on me with a hairy French girl who wore ironic tee shirts and ate too much cheese. I broke up with him and three days later, his dad went to jail for embezzlement (it’s all the rage nowadays with white collar folk) and his family’s fortune went kaput. Karma is a bitch as they say.

I didn’t know what to say to Julian. He had gone from interning with the Mayor of New York to serving platters of camembert. The man obviously had a thing for downgrading. He, however, didn’t seem to think this situation was awkward at all and actually gave me a hug. Why on earth do exes think that after they’ve thoroughly made a douchebag of themselves, you would still find it in your heart to acknowledge their existence? All I wanted to do was order my onion soup, not talk to my dickwad ex.
After several minutes of rolling my eyes and checking my iphone, Julian got the point and scurried away to chop up onions or whatever it was that waiters did.

God, I feel so blessed to have Alistair. He is sensitive, funny, honest, and takes me to lovely restaurants as opposed to serving at them. Now, I’m even more excited about our date tonight. Alistair has been uber busy lately with studying and searching for a good summer internship. It will be nice to see him.

On a side note, what’s up with Demi Lovato going to rehab? I always knew she was a less pretty / more gap-toothed version of Selena Gomez but I never thought she would drunkenly stumble down the same knickerless road as Lindsay Lohan. Disney stars. Well, I’ve got to go primp and preen.

Kisses,

Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment